Saturday 25 February 2012

To B or Not To B?

There's no question.

Yesterday I wrote about listening to your body when it speaks to you through pain, and today I want to share a personal story about my own experience.

Three years ago when I was dealing with the aftermath of the shingles virus, I suffered from terrible migraine headaches. I would often pop very strong pills and tried many forms of medication to help ease the pain, which in turn caused other issues in my health. One medication I tried worked to completely shut off my nerve endings which made me very very dizzy. So dizzy in fact that I couldn't sleep which is the very thing that works to aid in relieving migraine headaches. As a last resort, I often visited emerge where I was given medication through injection. 

After trying many drugs to deal with the re-occuring consequence resulting from shingles, I went to see a Neurologist. Another doctor to be visited, Sigh. I walked through the doors feeling hopeless until I sat down with this amazing man who had a huge part in changing my life. This man was a doctor who believed in the power of food and this was one of the first instances where the proof was in the pudding.

He told me that he recently looked into a variety of studies that had been done about vitamin B2. The studies had shown that the intake of vitamin B2 had helped to relieve migraine headaches. He had not seen any patients who had tried this method but after everything I had gone through I was willing to try anything.

Off to the health food store I went, picked up a bottle of B2 and LITERALLY 3 weeks later my headaches were gone! I know this sounds completely over-exaggerated but this was how my body responded to the power of vitamins.

I am still headache free today (with the occasional headache which I relieve with peppermint)

This was my story. My body was LOUDLY begging for me to make a change. I listened and I am now better for it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment